Overview of Brain Healing Options
The world of natural, holistic care offers several science-based methods of locating and balancing problems with brain function. Whether or not you have a disease, these methods can contribute to better function, quality of life, and happiness.
The methods we offer are based on either correcting the over- or under-firing patterns of the brain circuit pathways, or balancing the brain chemically. Children, adults, and seniors may all see benefit in performance from these methods. Vaughan Vitality Wellness is one of very few clinics that combine the power of these methods with each other and with chiropractic, acupuncture, and sports or psychological counseling.
QEEG and Neurofeedback
We assess the electrical circuits in the brain using a noninvasive scan technology called QEEG or quantitative electroencephalography. This is a cap that measures brainwaves leaving the skull and captures them in full color 3D brain mapping reports that compare your brain to thousands of subjects.
This same cap can be used to teach the brain through feedback how to fire more efficiently and rest more deeply. This method is called Neurofeedback and has been highly studied. QEEG and Neurofeedback can be applied to patients as young as 6 years old. Our system is the most advanced available today reaching deep brain structures using the s-loreta processing system that guides imaging and treatment.
Functional Neurological Exam and Rehab
1990-2000 was called the Decade of the Brain because the National Institutes of Health funded massive university imaging studies of all types of brain function. These brain scans led to the knowledge of brain regions and their distinct functions. Examination methods became standardized and brain clinicians began to activate distinct brain regions with targeted precision. Today, physical examination and other testing can reveal very specifically where the brain problem is, and then therapies can be directed that stimulate those deficit areas perfectly.
We use a number of directed brain therapies, including specific balance training, eye movements, skin brushing, object or word identification, tilt table training, visual or auditory stimulations, double tasking, laser headset training, neurological muscle energy techniques, and many other fun, interesting, and pain-free exercises.
Metabolic Balancing or Functional Medicine
The brain is bathed in a chemical soup within the cerebrospinal fluid that can either be sustaining or toxic for it. For the chemistry of the brain, urine, and blood, we have lab tests, medical history, physical examinations, and imaging that can help us locate chemical imbalances.
Repairing such imbalances involves:
- adding or subtracting foods from the diet,
- adding or changing nutritional supplements or their serving size, and
- changing exercise, sleep, and other lifestyle habits.
Some Indications for Brain Services
Symptoms and Conditions that may benefit from supportive, adjunctive, or palliative brain therapies include:
- TBI Traumatic and mild traumatic brain injury or concussion
- Multiple concussion or post-concussion syndrome
- Sleep problems
- Concentration and focus issues or brain fog
- Balance problems, falls, and clumsiness
- Mood disorders such as depression and anxiety
- Bipolar and schizophrenia
- Autoimmune diseases affecting the brain, endocrine, or digestive systems
- Tics and tremors
- Panic attacks
- Headaches of several types
- Behavior control
- Auditory and sensory processing disorders
- Reading difficulties and some learning disorders
- Allodynia (pain from normal touch)
- TMJ disorders of the jaw
- Some speech and language disorders
- Chronic vertebral subluxation (non-ligamentous spinal instability) that remains unresolved despite chiropractic care
- Reduced sense of smell
- Posture and gait disturbances
- Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, and other neurodegenerative disorders of the brain
- Some vagal nerve conditions
Many conditions require co-management with a psychologist, psychiatrist, dentist, dietician, acupuncturist, naturopath, nutritionist, podiatrist, optometrist, PT, OT speech therapist, medical neurologist, or other health professional.
Nutritional and dietary supplements can make a huge impact too. Quality of life can be greatly improved even in the absence of cure. Advanced brain imaging centers are available to us for special testing and reports as well.